Admission to the M.F.A Program in Directing is based on a private audition/ interview and submission of the following materials:
- completed application to the Brown Graduate School
- college transcripts
- three letters of recommendation
- one-page written personal statement
- One-page essay, based on any play by William Shakespeare, Henrik Ibsen, Anton Chekhov, Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, Jose Rivera, August Wilson, Suzan-Lori Parks, Sarah Ruhl, Erik Ehn, or Sarah Kane.
- Essay should be written as if the director is addressing the cast and designers on the first day of rehearsal.
- Why are you doing this play? How do you envision the actors and designers working with you to achieve this? Choosing one essential moment in the play which is central to your production, how will you address it with the actors and designers?
- photo and resume
- $75 non-refundable application fee
GRE and writing samples are not required.
Responses to questions regarding published articles or books, and fluency in a foreign language are not required.
Apply with the Gradate School's Online Application.
The Brown/Trinity Rep MFA Programs are not accepting applications until the fall of 2021.
- Directors will be asked to perform one monologue, not to exceed 90 seconds.
Applicants should be prepared to discuss their work, their past assignments, and what they intend to accomplish in the future.
Directors are invited (but not required) to submit additional material, which will help the audition panel to understand the directing applicant’s vision and capabilities, by including an electronic link on their application. Please do NOT upload your portfolio.
Directors are required to attend the one-hour information session on the day of their audition.
For questions about Brown/ Trinity's audition process or the program, please contact: Jill Jann, Brown/Trinity Rep Program Manager at [email protected]
For all other questions about the Graduate School's application process, please contact Lisa Tillson, Graduate School Admission Coordinator, at [email protected]